This blog is about life with my husband who was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's and Frontal Lobe Dementia in 2008. He was 64 at the time although now, knowing more about the disease, Alzheimer's was present many, many years ago, which is why early detection is so important. As you read the blog the character "Al" that I created in 2008, represents the way that Alzheimer's is invading our daily lives.
There is an archive tab further down the page that starts from the beginning of our journey.

Friday, April 17, 2015

Living with Bob and "Al"

Sheri is in that place again. The one that comes on with out warning. The one where her heart is in her throat at all times. Usually it means she needs a few hours to herself to breathe and think. She hates when she is in this place, it is suffocating. She thinks it came to the surface yesterday when her new boss asked her when she was taking her vacation. Vacation? Vacation is bonus sick time in the Alzheimer world. You never know when the bottom is going to drop out so you save every available moment of paid time off to ensure you have a job to come back to, it is the nature of the beast.
Sheri hates this disease.
Matthew 11:28
 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 
29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 

30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

1 comment:

  1. Good lord this is SO accurate. I moved my father in with me (he is very late stage alzheimers) and I read that line "Vacation is bonus sick time in the Alzheimers world" and started to laugh and feel so sad, all at once. A super great line that I will definitely remember.

    ReplyDelete