This blog is about life with my husband who was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's and Frontal Lobe Dementia in 2008. He was 64 at the time although now, knowing more about the disease, Alzheimer's was present many, many years ago, which is why early detection is so important. As you read the blog the character "Al" that I created in 2008, represents the way that Alzheimer's is invading our daily lives.
There is an archive tab further down the page that starts from the beginning of our journey.

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Living with Bob and "Al"

Because Bob and "Al" have no self awareness of their disease, Sheri is frustrated all the time. She really does not understand how Bob can not know that "Al" exists. There are so very many things Bob can not do and does not question. Yet on the other hand, Sheri is grateful Bob can not see the shell of himself that exists now. The feelings of despair, come from a cry of the heart of those who watch "them" from the outside and know there is no longer a door to the inside.
Sheri hates this disease.
"God's Grace is written on the canvas of despair"
TD Jakes

2 comments:

  1. Sheri be grateful that Bob does not know he has this disease. My wife is aware that she has lost most of herself and the result is living with an angry, negative, spiteful person who I only recognize once in awhile. She can go from saying I love you, I love you to almost in the same breath calling me an idiot for trying to help her because she isn`t a child. But the words are twisted into some new mangled language and she speaks to others who live in our house that I guess keep her company. She is on strong anti psychotic`s and even they don`t work well. I get a regular call from the Day program to please pick her up since she is having a really bad day and they cannot control her. So maybe your Bob isn`t is better off not knowing whats really happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter I am so sorry, my heart is breaking for you.

      Delete