This blog is about life with my husband who was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's and Frontal Lobe Dementia in 2008. He was 64 at the time although now, knowing more about the disease, Alzheimer's was present many, many years ago, which is why early detection is so important. As you read the blog the character "Al" that I created in 2008, represents the way that Alzheimer's is invading our daily lives.
There is an archive tab further down the page that starts from the beginning of our journey.

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Living with Bob and "Al"

In Sheri's never ending desire to have some sign of romance in her life, the day before Sheri and Bob's anniversary, she thought she would see if Bob wanted to pick out a card for her, and she would pick one out for him. She explained it was their 25 anniversary and off they went to the local Hallmark store. Not a safe place for Sheri due to the mushablitly factor, (and yes I made up that word). Anyway, Sheri stood Bob in front of the right card section and said to try to pick something out. "Al" however was distracted and kept wandering over the birthday, humorous and sympathy cards. Sheri redirected and reminded him what he was looking and eventuality Bob had an anniversary card in his hand. Sheri took the card ( with out peaking at it of course, still hoping for that surprise factor for the next day) and they went home. On the morning of their anniversary Sheri got the card and gave it to Bob and said  "Okay, why don't you sign this because it is our anniversary today and I will go sign yours." Sheri walked into the kitchen with a smile on her face quite pleased with her version of "You've got Mail". Sheri had not been out of room for more then a few seconds and she hears "Al" saying " Excuse me, excuse me" Sheri steps back in to the living room and says "whats the matter", "Al"  with a look of total confusion on his face replies "Who do I make this out to?"
Ah... the best laid plans  :)

3 comments:

  1. Trying to celebrate any holiday is hard but a wedding anniversary is very hard. Your idea was great even though it didn't turn out as you hoped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh. My thoughts are with you today, Sheri. It's tough. I remember those days with Mom. Hang in there and keep your faith in God. He handles all things. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Special occasions gone unnoticed always seem to be little tough here too. On our anniversary, because I went and ahead and made a special breakfast and dinner.. My "bob" thought it was his birthday, At least he recognised it was an "occassion" of some kind.. I was feeling low and a friend told me-- Well at least Bob has an excuse-- Mu husband hasnt remembered our anniversary for years..LOL.. Well-- seems odd but when I think about how many people I have heard say, My husband forgot my birthday or he forgot our anniversary...Made it seem not quite so bad... Yep-- at least Bob has a good excuse.. :) Your "hand" pictures are awesome-- What a neat idea! HUGZ!

    ReplyDelete