This blog is about life with my husband who was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's and Frontal Lobe Dementia in 2008. He was 64 at the time although now, knowing more about the disease, Alzheimer's was present many, many years ago, which is why early detection is so important. As you read the blog the character "Al" that I created in 2008, represents the way that Alzheimer's is invading our daily lives.
There is an archive tab further down the page that starts from the beginning of our journey.

Friday, February 10, 2017

Living with Bob and "Al"

If Sheri were honest she would tell you that Bob and "Al" appear to be adjusting just fine, they did not change his meds as they realized that his behavior is just part of the way his disease presents itself, which is why he is living there. Sheri so appreciates them recognizing  that and not just numbing him out with strong medicine. Sheri on the other hand, is struggling. How can she have cared for someone so long and "Al" doe not even know she is not there. It has created such mixed emotions. She is even angry that he does not miss her, which really makes no sense at all because she knew he did not know who she was even when he was at home. Of course she knows it is not his fault and it is the disease, but there are so many layers of emotions with this onion she is shedding tears over as she peels back the layers of her life, she thinks that this "ambiguous loss" thing, needs a whole specialty division in the world of therapy. This is one hot mess of a mind game she has going on in her head.
Sheri needs to Pause, Praise and Pray.

3 comments:

  1. Sheri, I want you to know that I am thankful for your voice and your willingness to share your struggles. You are able to put words to how I feel but can't articulate. I love this phrase "ambiguous loss".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear HS: YOU too are able to put words to how I feel but can't articulate. Sheri is a real leader. When I'm driving and come to a confusing detour, I'm so grateful when I am the second car in line...but if I'm the first I get anxious and a little frightened. I'm behind Sheri and know I'll be brave and do OK when life's detour arrives at the doorstep. Marie

      Delete
    2. Thank you both so much, so sorry for the delayed response... just now coming out of the fog.

      Delete