This blog is about life with my husband who was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's and Frontal Lobe Dementia in 2008. He was 64 at the time although now, knowing more about the disease, Alzheimer's was present many, many years ago, which is why early detection is so important. As you read the blog the character "Al" that I created in 2008, represents the way that Alzheimer's is invading our daily lives.
There is an archive tab further down the page that starts from the beginning of our journey.

Friday, April 1, 2011

Living with Bob and Al

Sheri sensed something different yesterday at the nursing home
Bob and "Al" are getting angry now, not an emotion he shows often
This was not the typical clenched jaw anger either.
As Bob began to try to recount his day, his voice level rose.
Apparently one of the therapist was doing some math work on paper
with him where he needed to minus 3 from each number repeatedly.
As Bob's voice rose in anger, he said "This is the most ridiculous think I have ever spent time doing"
Absolutely NO practical application for any of it!" "I have had just about enough!"
Sheri thinks what is happening, is that as his pain medicine has been reduced to almost nothing now
he is much more aware of the work they have been doing with "Al".
Sheri asked Bob "So did you do the work, the minus 3 thing?"
"Al" replied "Well ...I did some... but it is ridiculous"
Sheri thinks Bob may have actually realized the struggles "Al" is having... and Bob doesn't like it.

2 comments:

  1. My mother's medications were changed this week, and she expressed anger and anxiety toward me for the first time. I was afraid that she was going to hit me. She wanted to go home and was not going to take no for an answer. The doctor decided to keep her on the meds for anxiety. I hate dementia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom used to be mad at me and our home care aides ALL THE TIME. Then, our Naturopath Doctor recommended Lithium Orotate in a very small dose. it's the naturally occurring kind of lithium that passes through the blood brain barrier more easily... you don't need as much as the pharmaceutical version. BUT... I wouldn't take it without talking to a Naturopath Doctor who's familiar with this form of lithium.

    The result? My mom is happy, humming and singing to her iPod loaded with her favorite Frank Sinatra songs. She thinks it's my father singing to her; he sang like Frank.

    Making up wild stories works great for my mom. I never thought she'd believe in Dream Master, but she does.

    My mom believes anything that I tell her that is not logical. Like Dream Master and my ability to communicate with all the dead people that she sees all the time. I make believe I'm seeing them and talking to them too, it makes her less stressed.

    When she's really freaked, I tell her that I'll call Dream Master to take care of it. Sometimes I call on a phone that is in her room and not plugged in to anything. My mom believes that I have magic powers - I told her that I did.

    She often calls him "the Head Honcho"... "Hey, can you call the Head Honcho and take care of that?" I say yes and it's done. I call in front of her and sometimes I just walk in the room, see how she looks and say something like, "I called the Head Honcho, everything is going to be OK. You're all set." that works most of the time.

    Go with the flow and instead of fighting it, have some fun. When you laugh, everything is always better. Big hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete