This blog is about life with my husband who was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's and Frontal Lobe Dementia in 2008. He was 64 at the time although now, knowing more about the disease, Alzheimer's was present many, many years ago, which is why early detection is so important. As you read the blog the character "Al" that I created in 2008, represents the way that Alzheimer's is invading our daily lives.
There is an archive tab further down the page that starts from the beginning of our journey.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Living with Bob and "Al"

Sheri and Daughter Number 1 went out to see "the boys" yesterday. This ambiguous loss thing turned out to be a little too much for her when Bob started singing Amazing Grace and "Al" had stolen most of words. "Al" may be able to steal the worlds from Bob's lips, but he can not steal them Bob's heart.

1 comment:

  1. Your post touches on something that really concerned me at first. I believe that we only have eternal life through faith in Jesus Christ. What happens when my EOAD progresses to the point that I can't formulate coherent thoughts and I'm incapable of "faith" as I've always thought about what "faith" is? What happens if I don't have "faith" as I draw my last breath?

    I've prayed about that and talked to my pastor. I've reach a point of comfort that makes me think it was silly to even have worried about it. You phrased it perfectly. Faith resides in the heart.

    Whatever struggles lie before me in this life, the faith that I have today assures that I will pass to an eternal, perfect life in the presence of Jesus Christ. I'm thinking fly fishing with Him in a mountain trout stream in the morning (He'll know where all the fish are), a good book and a mid-day nap, Happy Hour with my wife in the late afternoon before we have dinner, and then He joins us to watch sports on TV in the evening before the day ends with a bowl of ice cream the size of a bathtub. Oh, and the grass mows itself somehow. The "boys" are heading for their own version of that.
    Heading Somewhere

    ReplyDelete