This blog is about life with my husband who was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's and Frontal Lobe Dementia in 2008. He was 64 at the time although now, knowing more about the disease, Alzheimer's was present many, many years ago, which is why early detection is so important. As you read the blog the character "Al" that I created in 2008, represents the way that Alzheimer's is invading our daily lives.
There is an archive tab further down the page that starts from the beginning of our journey.

Friday, August 23, 2013

Living with Bob and "Al"

Sheri and Bob climbed into bed last evening, after watching an ad for the Minnesota State Fair. Within 20 minutes "Al" had asked Sheri 7 times if the fair had started yet, and said he had no interest in going but that it was good for his farmer friends. Sheri is not exaggerating either. The exact same line said several minutes apart. What a very strange disease, what must it be like in his head? Oh and Sheri had no idea he had farmer friends,  after 24 years you learn something new every day.  :)

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear, repetition is tough. This link includes a short video that may help: http://www.geriatriccaremanagement.com/2011/10/managing-dementia-behaviors-repetitive-talk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I watched the video and I have learned a new phase," Tell me about it."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Mary! She is good isn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I told my husband when I was caring for his Grandmother that there were times I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone because we kept rehashing the same thing every few minutes. At times I would question my own sanity!

    ReplyDelete