This blog is about life with my husband who was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's and Frontal Lobe Dementia in 2008. He was 64 at the time although now, knowing more about the disease, Alzheimer's was present many, many years ago, which is why early detection is so important. As you read the blog the character "Al" that I created in 2008, represents the way that Alzheimer's is invading our daily lives.
There is an archive tab further down the page that starts from the beginning of our journey.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Living with Bob and "Al"

The beginning of the end chapter 4

Amidst Sheri's frustration and anger, she asked the male nurse to please come in and help her get Bobs leg out of the railing. He said he would be right there, in the mean time Sheri had to dodge what was quickly becoming a very agitated "Al's" grabbing anything he could, hands. When the nurse came he started telling Bob in his not so pleased stern nurse voice, that he needed to lie down and rest, and he was going to start an IV. Sheri tried to explain the degree of his disease, and that he does not understand what you are telling him... just so he would know why "the  boys" were not following his s"rest" instruction, but the nurse snapped at her and said "Yes, but we still talk to them like people."
 Sheri's heart hurt.

1 comment:

  1. My heart hurt reading this account with the nurse. I am so sorry you had to go through this. I am also sorry that Bob had to suffer the way he did. I pray that as you process these experiences, your heart would find peace knowing that Bob is now forever free of "Al".
    Thank you for sharing with us. I know your words have helped me understand and know more about this dreadful and have more compassion for my loved one who is suffering from early dementia and also for myself as their caregiver.

    ReplyDelete