This blog is about life with my husband who was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's and Frontal Lobe Dementia in 2008. He was 64 at the time although now, knowing more about the disease, Alzheimer's was present many, many years ago, which is why early detection is so important. As you read the blog the character "Al" that I created in 2008, represents the way that Alzheimer's is invading our daily lives.
There is an archive tab further down the page that starts from the beginning of our journey.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Living with Bob and "Al"

When Sheri picked up Bob from "work" code for Adult Day Center yesterday, everyone was sitting outside as they often do in the summer. Sheri was surprised to see Bob wearing a sweater. Sheri realized that Bob must have been cold and they loaned him a sweater. The only problem was "Al" did not know that, and when they asked for it back "Al" became agitated. It just so happens that Bob has a sweater at home so "Al" was convinced this was it. So convinced that when they got in the car, "Al" started rummaging through Sheri's purse and the console and trying to reach into the back seat. When Sheri asked Bob what he was looking for Bob replied through clenched teeth  "I am looking for my sweater that they took from me". Sheri started to try to explain and quickly realized that was not going to work because Bob was shaking his head in anger. So instead Sheri said "Look at the  big fence over there" to which "Al" replied " I built that all by myself." "WOW you were a busy guy." Yes I was, I painted it too, have you seen my sweater?" Thinking fast Sheri said, "Oh you had a little paint on it so it is in the wash." To which "Al" titling his head to one side said " Oh, okay."  :)
Oy vey.

No comments:

Post a Comment