This blog is about life with my husband who was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's and Frontal Lobe Dementia in 2008. He was 64 at the time although now, knowing more about the disease, Alzheimer's was present many, many years ago, which is why early detection is so important. As you read the blog the character "Al" that I created in 2008, represents the way that Alzheimer's is invading our daily lives.
There is an archive tab further down the page that starts from the beginning of our journey.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Living with Bob and Al

Sheri thinks that maybe she is drained of all emotion
the roller coaster ride of the last few weeks, has her unable to get her balance.
Bob and "Al" appear now to be some what "settled" there
only complaining that "they" are bored,
The home has a list of events, but "Al" can't get himself there with out guidance
Sheri brought Bob movies and a deck of cards, but "Al" can't work the the DVD player
And "they" are long past cards except for a simple game of go fish.
"Al" doesn't remember to open the white binder that Sheri brought him with "The Plan"
Sheri found it in the drawer by the bed, "Al" "did not know" it was in there.
Sheri did not realize how much guidance she gives "them through out the day"
She feels guilty that he is bored.... guilt is funny thing.
She is a little concerned that is name band and alarm sensor thingy were missing from
his arm for the second time, and nobody noticed... worry is a funny thing too....

1 comment:

  1. Sheri... I know it's difficult for you. I know the feeling of guilt very well too. I also learned that guilt will kill us - I let it go. Know that you did all that you can... you have.

    I found that music helps my mom. She can't watch TV anymore, it becomes her reality and sometimes it freaks her out.

    A little ipod shuffle is what I got my mom and put all her favorite Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin songs on it. The music sooths her and improves her mood.

    I hope this helps Bob and Al.

    You are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete