This blog is about life with my husband who was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's and Frontal Lobe Dementia in 2008. He was 64 at the time although now, knowing more about the disease, Alzheimer's was present many, many years ago, which is why early detection is so important. As you read the blog the character "Al" that I created in 2008, represents the way that Alzheimer's is invading our daily lives.
There is an archive tab further down the page that starts from the beginning of our journey.

Friday, February 25, 2011

Living with Bob and Al

What a deceitful disease this is
Sheri looks into the face of the man
that could fix anything, build anything and appeared to be invincible
 And although it is Bob's face
it is "Al's"judgment, "Al's" confusion, "Al's" choices that are causing pain for Bob.
And for Sheri.
What a deceitful, destructive disease.

1 comment:

  1. Sheri, I am sorry for your pain. I understand it very well... I live your nightmare but with my mom. I couldn't imagine the disease taking my husband.

    I've changed my focus on how I view the illness. I was like you, sad and forlorn. Feeling cheated and robbed of my own life. Tears brought more tears.

    My thoughts molded my future... it brought me more of the same because it's all I focused on.

    It's been about a week now since I changed my focus. I look for the happiness in every day, even with this disease, we can find the blessings and joy.

    I know it's tough, but what I have discovered is when I am happy, it's contagious. My mom has been having better days. I am a better care giver when I laugh and sing. I dance around the house too... it makes my mom laugh.

    The disease is horrible, yes... shift your focus, laugh in the face of the illness, laugh and sing. Dance. Be silly and Al and Bob will sing and dance with you.

    For me, the change in my attitude has eased the pain of the loss and giving us more good days. I love good days, they are possible even for someone with Alzheimer's.

    You are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete