This blog is about life with my husband who was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's and Frontal Lobe Dementia in 2008. He was 64 at the time although now, knowing more about the disease, Alzheimer's was present many, many years ago, which is why early detection is so important. As you read the blog the character "Al" that I created in 2008, represents the way that Alzheimer's is invading our daily lives.
There is an archive tab further down the page that starts from the beginning of our journey.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Living with Bob and "Al"

Sheri is feeling a bit overwhelmed lately. Well may be a lot overwhelmed. She has seen so many changes, in a short period of time. She knows she needs to think about how much longer she can do this. Working full time and care-giving is exhausting. Most of the time besides work and Bob she has no idea what is going on in the world around her. How does she make such a decision? She has always had an issue with guilt. Sheri's heart hurts.

9 comments:

  1. Is he safe? Is he happy? Are you safe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is he safe? Is he happy? Are you safe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been in awe of you working full time and caring for Bob. I also work full time and while my husband can still be at home alone during the day, I feel overwhelmed with remembering my things and his. Dr.appts, meds, etc. Our grandsons visited us last week and it was much to much for my husband. They're boys, loud and active and it caused him a lot of agitation. I'm worried I won't be able to have them visit again. I'm beginning to understand caregiver's lonliness and isolation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is sweet of you to say. But as Keira says below I am running on empty too. Sorry you are in deep as well.

      Delete
  4. It is EXHAUSTING juggling both work and caring. I also feel like I am "running on empty", but if I break then the whole house of cards comes crashing down - husband, mum-in-law, me and all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running on empty is such a good way of saying it. :( All the balls will fall out of the air if I think to hard about it. :(

      Delete
  5. It is overwhelming and the guilt of having to make this decision makes me beyond sad. Even thou I quit my Job to stay home it is exhausting. Not just the physical but the weight of all of the decision making and wondering if we are doing the right things. I dread the decisions ahead. Bless Your Heart Sheri-- I know it is pretty heavy right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a hard place to be, Sheri. I will be praying for wisdom and peace for you.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please don’t feel any guilt about this. It is an emotionally devastating process - be sad, but please don’t be guilty. None of this is your fault.

    At some point the care Bob requires will exceed what you can give. You have to work and you have to sleep. You can stretch yourself thin, skimping on sleep and losing work hours, for quite some time, treading to keep your head above water. Eventually, though, properly caring for Bob may mean placing him where there are teams of people who can provide 24/7 care. I’m sure you realize the placement decision requires forethought; you can’t wait until you are already drowning. It is often many, many months before a spot is available.

    Praying God will provide you wisdom and peace with this very difficult decision.

    ReplyDelete